Monday 10 June 2013

North East model railway – Matters Arising 2

Signalling the layout.

In respect to the question of the signalling on the layout. I do intend to signal the layout and as 48firefox points out this will be a mammoth task. Not only to design the signals required, but also to source decent models which are typical of the North East area. I have tried to find a signal man to help me with the design, but most run away once the size of the task becomes apparent.  

Around the time frame of the layout there was a mixture of both semaphore and colour lights and I would see as the ideal representation. I know there are kits which will fit the bill, I don't relish the thought of making up hundreds of fiddly kits, with bits that fall of every time you breathe near them.

There is a market for a manufacturer to really get to grips with this poorly represented part of the market and produce some decent 'ready to plant' working signals at a reasonable price. There needs to be a range which is not just the home and distant single poles, but gantries, junctions and ground signals as well.

A few years ago I started to collect colour light kits from the Eckon range and simply could not find anywhere near the quantities I needed, and after a dealer told me they were only produced in small numbers  I gave up.

DCC operation obviously allows the interlocking with the points and this is a desirable installation requirement.  

No comments:

Post a Comment