Sunday 16 March 2014



A joint effort 

I have this idea. 

Most people are daunted by the size of the task building a full model railway or don't have the space. 

I thought of making up a specification for a say 3 or 4 foot by 18 inches baseboard which could be joined to another of the same specification and ask as many people who would care to build one (or more) sections and join them together and then filming the end result from on board the trains. 

I intend to build my next layout on this basis and am wondering if anybody would be interested in the idea of a multiple person project. 

There would have to be rules, in order to make something coherent, but it would give those who don't have space or time to build a full layout a contribution to what could be something really good.

Each of the sections could be a discrete diorama, say  a wood yard, a station, a marshalling yard or simply a section with a model of your own house. It would have to be wired for DCC (part of the specification). Each section would require a 'scenic break' to allow the passage from each section.

A small size would allow the section to be built on the kitchen table.

Its an idea anyway, just wonder if anybody out there would be interested......  



6 comments:

  1. Seems reasonable. I'll have words with my little lad and see what he thinks. We should do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ile have too see but I would love too do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We use Maquetren norms (Spain) in Portugal, each section with 92x40cm :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leonel, How do I find more about Maquetren norms. Is there a specification?

      Delete
  4. Hi I got in touch earlier about where you told me where to get the lovely walling on your layout .could you repeat it please ,cheers mark .ps keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, its International Models
      http://www.internationalmodels.net/
      Doug

      Delete