Saturday 29 August 2015

Driving J94 at Peak Rail











My children clubbed together and bought me a Steam Engine Driver Experience for my birthday. 

If you'd asked me what I wanted to do in life, from the age of nine, driving a steam engine would have always been the answer. Around twenty years ago I had the money to buy a locomotive and a place to put it. There wasn't any for sale that I could find. I never thought there would be any substitute for driving the real thing, but decided to create a model that would simulate the experience which is what you see in the films I produce today. The model was built without ever standing on a footplate. Had I got it right? Would this experience show that what I had already shown to the world was completely wrong?  

I know there are plenty of videos and lots of literature around about how to drive a steam engine. 
I had a choice. 
I could read everything, watch all the videos or even have a go on a simulator. This means when I went on the day I could roar out of the station in a cloud of smoke and steam and impress the living daylights of everybody.
The alternative was to go with no preconceived notions or detailed knowledge and let the crew show me what was required, bearing in mind I fully understand how a steam engine works.
I chose to do the latter.

The only preparation I made was to read about the history of the line.  

On the day I was incredibly nervous, I can't remember feeling this trepidation even when I took my driving test back in the seventies.

After a brief introduction from the station staff at the buffet, I was introduced my driver and fireman for the day. Jan the driver and Richard the fireman.  

I was still in two minds whether I should have acquired more detailed knowledge before climbing the six foot from the ground to the footplate of the already fired, awaiting locomotive. 

Even an 0-6-0 shunter seems huge when you are standing on the footplate. The first thing that struck me was the very poor visibility the driver has. After a tour of the controls, it wasn't long before I was moving off along the track towards a level crossing with real cars crossing!

After a couple of runs between the station and the level crossing, through the beautiful countryside, being waved at by the passers by, I was passed to Richard who gave me the full low down on how the machine worked and the intricacies of the role of the fireman.

One thing I do know about is putting fuel on a fire, we have coal stoves at home so I thought this bit would be a piece of cake. Wrong. Out of the nine shovels full that Richard told me to put onto the fire, I only managed to hit the hole cleanly about twice, the aftermath of this effort was all three of us standing on a liberal layer of coal on the footplate (there was probably the odd bit on the line side as well). 
Joking aside, the fire man's job is a very skilful part of this team effort, and I suddenly realised why you must first be a fireman before you can become a driver.

The literature you receive in preparation for the day tells you that you would be driving a light engine and this seemed to be a little disappointing, but when Jan asked me if I would like to shunt some wagons, I was delighted. Those of you who are familiar with my film productions will know that this is my kind of heaven. Pulling four wagons out of the yard onto the head shunt and replacing them back into the yard again was absolutely brilliant.   
The restricted views the driver has comes into sharp focus when you add even four wagons to the locomotive, the length of even this short train seems enormous, and, you can't see the end. You also have to remember not to shake the poor guard at the back off his feet when starting and stopping all this metal. Also at this point, you realise how much the driver has to rely on the judgement and information given by the fireman. A truly intertwined team effort.

The entire day was an absolute pleasure. At the end of it, all my doubts of whether I had achieved a good representation in my films had evaporated.  

My grandson Tommy, who is the same age as me, portrayed in the films, was the official photographer for the day and produced some excellent shots.

My very grateful thanks are extended to both Jan and Richard for their excellent tuition.

Its worth giving a plug to this super Heritage Railway, thoroughly recommend a visit, even if you just want a ride (excellent home made food in the buffet too).

To view Peak Rail website:-
http://www.peakrail.co.uk/

To view my channel follow this link:-
https://www.youtube.com/user/dougattrenholmebar




      




No comments:

Post a Comment